Two people were injured, and one of them was arrested, after a two-vehicle collision tonight that snarled traffic on U.S. Highway 101 in and near Redwood City for hours, the California Highway Patrol said. The collision was reported about 7:50 p.m. when a Mazda MX-5 and a Hyundai Sonata sedan collided on northbound 101 near the Whipple Road interchange in Redwood City, said CHP Officer Dave Morey. Specifics about how the collision occurred are still being investigated, Morey said, but the Mazda ended up on its roof. The driver of the Mazda, a man whose name was not available tonight, suffered moderate injuries, and was taken to Stanford Medical Center for treatment. He also was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol, Morey said. Two people were in the Hyundai. The adult driver suffered moderate injuries, Morey said, and a 6-year-old passenger in the back seat was not injured. The actions of both drivers are still under investigation, Morey said. After the accident, all northbound lanes of 101 were closed briefly, and three lanes remained closed until after 9 p.m.

Redwood City Starbucks manager forced from store in DV incident

in Crime/Featured/Headline and

More details have been released about the Nov. 1 kidnapping arrest at a business on El Camino Real initially reported by the Redwood City Police Department.

San Mateo County prosecutors say Santos Estrada Jr., 36, of Redwood City, went to the Starbucks at 1900 El Camino Real about 9:15 a.m., grabbed his estranged wife, who is the store’s manager, from behind and forcibly pulled her out of the store.

Outside, Estrada grabbed her cellphone to keep her from calling police, then threatened to kill her in a stream of curses despite her pleading with him to stop, prosecutors said.

“He dragged her 50 feet to his car which was running and threw her in the passenger seat,” prosecutors said.

As Estrada circled the car to get into the driver’s seat, the victim grabbed the key from the ignition, then ran back into the store. Co-workers who witnessed the incident called 911, but Estrada had fled on foot before police arrived. About two hours later, he was arrested at his Redwood City home, where he “was seeking help from his family to be transported out of the Bay Area,” prosecutors said.

At the time, Estrada was on probation for domestic violence. He and the victim have been married 13 years with two children but were separated. She had filed for divorce, and also had a restraining order against him, prosecutors said.

Estrada remains in custody on $500,000 bail. He was set to appear in court today to enter a plea and set a preliminary hearing date.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.