PHS/SPCA: ‘Miracle cat’ who survived ingesting rat poison needs home

in Community/Featured/Headline and

A “miracle cat” who survived ingesting rat poison is seeking a good home.

The Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA announced today it is seeking adopters to provide a safe, indoor-only home to the 7-month-old female cat named Millie.

On Oct. 2, Millie was found by a Good Samaritan at his work in Menlo Park and recognized the cat was sick, according to Buffy Martin Tarbox, the PHS/SCPA communications manager.

“She was completely comatose, and over the following days had intermittent seizures,” Tarbox said.

Veterinary staff found her symptoms consistent with ingestion of bromethalin, a toxin commonly used to eradicate rodents. Survival rates in cats is extremely low, with the poison causing “fluid to accumulate in the brain and spinal cord, resulting in severe swelling of tissues” that can “cause weakness, wobbling, seizures, coma and even death,” according to the experts.

Millie was provided fluids and intensive supportive care and, thankfully, she began to improve. Which is why Tarbox has called her a miracle cat.

Millie no longer requires treatment. But damage done by the poison means she “will likely never be a neurologically normal cat,” Tarbox said.

“She wobbles a bit, and has problems jumping and climbing,” Tarbox said, adding Millie is “very friendly.”

A stable and loving home environment may improve her condition.

Millie is spayed, vaccinated, microchipped and will only be adopted to individuals committed to keeping her an indoor cat. A quiet, stable household with no children would be best.

“Despite her rough beginning, Millie is a very sweet and gentle cat,” Tarbox said.

Interested in meeting Millie? Visit her at PHS/SPCA at 1450 Rollins Road in Burlingame. Her adoption fee is $80.

Photo of Millie: PHS/SPCA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*