17-year-old shot and killed in front of Belmont school

in Crime/Featured/Headline

A 17-year-old student at Carlmont High was found fatally shot in the parking lot of an elementary school Monday night, police said.

Just before 11 p.m., the family of Mohammad Othman, 17, of Redwood City called Belmont police to say that Othman was at Central Elementary School at 500 block of Middle Road and they were worried about him. Responding officers found Othman lying in the parking lot at the front of the school with an apparent gunshot wound, police said. The officers began life saving efforts, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

While the investigation was in its early stages Tuesday and no arrests had been announced, police said the shooting was not random, and that “the victim and suspect were associated,” police said. Othman had no connection to Central Elementary nor is there a connection between the school and crime, police said.

The death prompted additional counselors at Carlmont High Tuesday. A note by the principal confirmed the “tragic loss of one of our students.”

“Although this is a difficult time for us, we know that the family is grieving and we must keep them in our thoughts and support them in any way we can,” Principal Ralph Crame said in the notice.

Anyone with information on this incident is asked to contact Belmont Police at (650) 595-7400 or police@belmont.gov. Information can also be left on the Belmont Police Crime Tip Line at (650) 598-3000.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*