For a third straight year, Atherton was ranked as America’s richest community on the Bloomberg Richest Places annual index, with a household income averaging $450,696 in 2017.
Hillsborough ranked fifth on the index, with an average household income of $373,128. Los Altos was 26th at $280,162. Los Altos Hills in Santa Clara County came fourth at $386,174.
To produce its list, Bloomberg says it evaluated inflation-adjusted household data for Census-defined U.S. places with a minimum of 2,000 households.
Atherton Mayor Bill Widmer told Bloomberg the community’s close proximity to Stanford University, Google and Facebook, along with its semi-rural environment with property sizes of at least an acre, are reasons for attracting wealthy households. High-profile Atherton residents include Google’s Eric Schmidt and Facebook’s Sheryl Sandberg.
Proximity to major cities, such as San Francisco and New York, were cited as reasons for high household income results.
“More than half the top 100 richest places in American were either in the New York City area or California,” Bloomberg reported.
Read Bloomberg’s report here.
- Atherton – $450,696
- Scarsdale, NY – $417,335
- Cherry Hills Village, CO – #394,259
- Los Altos Hills – $386,174
- Hillsborough – $373,128
- Short Hills, NJ – $367,491
- Highland Park, TX – $358,994
- Darien, CT – $341,090
- Bronxville, NY – $340,448
- Glencoe, IL – $339,883
- The Village of Indian Hill, OH – $338,267
- Old Greenwich, CT – $336,692
- Winnetka, IL – $331,231
- West University Place, TX – $330,459
- Larchmont, NY – $313,586
- Great Falls, VA – $309,599
- University Park, TX – $304,898
- Westport, CT – $304,439
- Rumson, NJ – $303,542
- Paradise Valley, AZ – $300,521