The Redwood City Woman’s Club, which was recently listed on the National Register of Historic Places and on the California Register of Historical Resources and is a Redwood City Historic Landmark, is raising funds to create an historic landmark plaque honoring the designations.
The club, which has been active in the community since 1909, has launched a GoFundMe aiming to raise $2,500 for the plaque, which will be located in the front yard.
Built in 1911, the clubhouse at 149 Clinton St. is a Craftsman style clubhouse reportedly built by a local contractor named Charles Miller.
“The Redwood City Woman’s Club was founded to create social, educational, and benevolent opportunities for the women of Redwood City,” according to a post by the National Register of Historic Places Facebook account. “One of several local women’s organizations of the period, the Redwood City Woman’s Club was the only one to own its own building.”
Even before the clubouse was built, the women’s club “held lectures on art, literature, health, civics, history, landmarks, forestry, the work of the Red Cross, and parliamentary law.” The clubhouse made it easier to hold programs.
Today, the Redwood City Woman’s Club continues to have an impact, supporting organizations focused on veterans, foster teens and families via donations, volunteer service and use of the clubhouse, which can also be rented out for events. For more information, visit the club’s website here.
Photos courtesy of National Register of Historic Places and Redwood City Woman’s Clubhouse