A 35-year-old Menlo Park man has been arrested Wednesday on suspicion of raping a woman during a home invasion in San Carlos last week.
On Sunday, the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office launched an investigation into the incident that reportedly occurred during the early morning hours of Tuesday, July 17. The suspect, identified as 35-year-old Fernando Altuna Mendoza, “entered the victim’s residence, undressed, and stood over her while she was sleeping in her room,” the Sheriff’s Office said.
The victim awakened and saw that the suspect was completely naked before she was raped. The suspect fled shortly after, the Sheriff’s Office said.
Detectives learned Mendoza was an acquaintance of the victim and had not been in contact with her for some time. On Wednesday, detectives arrested Mendoza at his Menlo Park home. He was booked at the Maguire Correctional Facility on suspicion of rape of an unconscious victim, residential burglary and sexual penetration of an unconscious victim, the Sheriff’s Office said.
“While this is believed to be an isolated incident, we highly encourage anyone who has any information about the suspect to please contact Detective Carryn Barker at 650–363–4050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org,” the Sheriff’s Office said.