On June 23 the Peninsula Sports Hall of Fame recognized six athletes at the San Mateo County History Museum. Sportswriter and Hall of Fame founder John Horgan introduced each inductee. Read more in the June issue of Climate Magazine. The following were honored:
- Donovan Blythe, a globe-trotting basketball ambassador and coach whose dominant Eastside College Prep girls’ teams became state champions.
- Liz Bruno, a basketball star at Mercy High School and Santa Clara University early in the Title IX era. Many of her scoring/rebounding records still stand.
- Ron DiMaggio, a longtime track and field coach who has mentored thousands of young athletes in Daly City and the North County.
- Chris Dorst, a Menlo-Atherton High School and Stanford University water polo standout who became an Olympic medalist.
- Scott Feldman, a Major League Baseball pitcher who honed his craft at Burlingame High School and the College of San Mateo early in his career.
- Helen Lengfeld, a stellar golfer and dedicated advocate for women on the links whose influence lives on at the Peninsula Golf & Country Club and beyond.